Abrons Arts Center x The School of Making Thinking: Spring 2024 Course Proposals
Abrons Arts Center and The School of Making Thinking (SMT) are accepting proposals for our Spring 2024 course series for learners 18+. We are seeking course proposals that offer unique approaches to instruction and bridge creative disciplines. Artists and thinkers working across the areas of architecture, writing, performance, music, movement, community organizing, and more, are encouraged to apply.
Four courses will be selected for our Spring 2024 series: three courses will be hosted in-person at Abrons Arts Center, located on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. One course will be hosted virtually.
About Organizational Partners:
Abrons Arts Center is a program of Henry Street Settlement, a social services agency with nearly 130 years of experience providing front line support to New Yorkers. Since the founding of our Neighborhood Playhouse in 1915, Abrons has been a space for artists of all ages and stages to experiment with and share new ideas. Our Arts Education programming is shaped by the interests of our learners and is facilitated by professional teaching artists.
The School of Making Thinking (SMT) creates immersive artist residencies and arts programming responsive to community needs and in pursuit of equity, justice and sustainability. SMT values radical pedagogy and strategic program design, and shapes gatherings to holistically support artists and thinkers in their practices.
- Application opens: December 7, 2023
- Application closes: January 15, 2024 at 11:59 PM EST
- Finalist interviews: January 20 - January 24, 2024
- Applicants notified of status: January 26, 2024
- Courses dates: April 1 - April 26, 2024
- Mandatory Faculty Orientation: March 18, 6pm EST
- Prior teaching experience is highly encouraged, but not a requirement. A passion and interest in teaching is a must.
- Faculty must be available for the mandatory orientation and all course dates. Please review the “Important Dates” section before submitting your proposal.
- We are interested in proposals that push the edges of creative fields. Course proposals should be socially and politically responsive, experimental, pedagogically innovative, relevant to the instructor’s practice, and in alignment with the mission and values of Abrons Arts Center and SMT.
- Courses run for 4 weeks beginning April 1, 2024.
- Courses run once a week for 2 hours, for a total of 4 sessions.
- Courses will be held on weekday evenings from 6-8pm EST.
- Courses require a minimum of 6 learners to run. The maximum capacity of a course is 20.
- Faculty are paid $600 for their course ($75/hour for 8 teaching hours). 50% of the fee is issued within the 2 weeks of the start of the course. The balance is issued 2 weeks following the culmination of the course.
Course Registration Information:
- Courses cost for learners is $250 for a 4 week course [with a $25 registration fee].
- Abrons Arts Center and SMT offer 50% tuition discount for lower income participants and sliding scale tuition rates to Black, Indigenous and People of Color [with registration fee $25]. Activating these discounts requires a simple application process and email correspondence with Abrons administrators.
Questions?: Please email email@example.com